Garden Development Assistant
The Garden Development Assistant is a core member of the Soulful Seeds team. The position will contribute to work that is increasing access to fresh, healthy food and nutrition education among vulnerable populations by developing and maintaining neighborhood gardens in high-need communities.
The Garden Development Assistant is a core member of the Soulful Seeds team. The position will
contribute to work that is increasing access to fresh, healthy food and nutrition education among
vulnerable populations by developing and maintaining neighborhood gardens in high-need
communities. The full-time position does not need previous food systems, nutrition or farming
experience, although it is preferred. Ongoing training will be provided during this AmeriCorps term, and the successful candidate must have a desire to learn about sustainable food systems, food production, and addressing food insecurities through community outreach and education. The position will report to the Soulful Seeds Executive Director, and collaborate directly with the Soulful Seeds Garden Manager. The position involves physically demanding tasks at the garden, interaction with diverse groups and populations, and working independently as well as within a dynamic team.
Soulful Seeds’ purpose is to increase access to fresh, healthy food for the most vulnerable by building
and maintaining gardens in high-need neighborhoods and teaching people to plant, grow, and harvest
their own food.
We envision neighborhood gardens across the community where all people have an opportunity to grow and flourish.
● We value accessibility of fresh, healthy food for all.
● We value the garden as a space where people can gain a sense of community, purpose, self-
confidence, healing, and sustainability.
● We value a solution-based approach to addressing food insecurity by building skills that allow
people to provide for themselves and their families.
● We value a sense of community and belonging- breaking down barriers and obstacles which are
sometimes impossible to overcome.
● We value organic and regenerative gardening practices.
Timeline for Service: May – August 2023
Schedule: Approximately 40 hours per week. Time off includes 5 days of vacation, 5 days of sick leave and federal holidays. A total of 460 hours are required to be completed during this half term of AmeriCorps service.
Our programs include food access, education, and workforce development. All of our programs advance
four impact priorities: creating healthy neighborhoods, increasing fresh food access, improving self-
sufficiency/independence, and building meaningful social connections.
● Be a core member of the garden crew addressing the following tasks: harvesting, greenhouse
propagation, transplanting, seeding, weeding and cultivation, irrigation assistance, crop
fertilization and pest control, food safety practices, small equipment operation, and food
packaging, marketing and delivery.
● Play a leading role in Soulful Seeds food access program, campus education workshops, and
educational outreach to garden neighbors struggling with food insecurity.
● Develop and coordinate volunteer opportunities and events for garden neighbors and the
public. This position will help further develop a structured volunteer program, and create
outreach and program marketing materials pertaining to volunteer opportunities and Soulful
● Assist the Executive Director and Garden Manager in timely record keeping pertaining to crop
production and grant reporting.
● Developing relationships with other organizations
● Recruiting and training volunteers
● Facilitating other programs related to the outcomes of the garden
● Participating in team meetings
● Supporting the maintenance of garden infrastructure
● Contribute to the development of future garden plans
● Contribute to an inclusive and supportive garden environment
● Coordinate with the Garden Manager and Executive Director to ensure seeds, fertilizer, and
supplies remain in stock
● Passionate commitment to working with others on food security and sustainable
gardening/agriculture. Preference will be given to individuals who have an interest in a food
● Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and take initiative to improve garden systems
● Ability to work outdoors conducting physical labor in hot and cold temperatures
● Outstanding work ethic and positive attitude
● Strong interpersonal communication skills
● Strong computer skills and experience with Google and Microsoft Office applications
● Strong organizational skills
● Experience working with volunteers
● Preferred: strong understanding of or educational background in food
Compensation and Benefits
This AmeriCorps position receives a modest living allowance of $4,971 for a quarter term (approximately 3-4 months) and a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $1,718.25. Service members have the option to apply for student loan forbearance, and may be eligible for SNAP benefits. The Garden Development Assistant will have access to produce harvested from the garden.
A complete application consists of a detailed resume, cover letter, and 2 professional references. Please submit your application directly via email to Brooke O’Byrne, Soulful Seeds’ Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications and applications submitted indirectly via online platforms (such as Indeed or other) will not be considered.
Application Deadline – Open Until Filled